Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Response to "My So-Called Opinions" by Zachary Fine

Article Link: My So-Called Opinions

     In his New York Times article, Zachary Fine explains his opinion on pluralism and why such a progressive ideology can have negative effects in addition to the good.
     I agree with his argument that pluralism can act as a censure towards groups or individuals with ideas that are seen as exclusive, rejecting, or only tolerant. Because of this, people will fall into a singular mindset of prefering, in his example, Edwidge Danticat over William Shakespeare for the sake of pluralism. The issue of personal taste becomes almost polarized between a "right" and "wrong" choice. There is a social pressure to fit in with the newly dominant mindset. I also like how he states, "I don't know," has become a shield from decision.
    I do think that, ideally, people shouldn't be forced to accept something, but at the very least tolerate it and acknowledge that there are people and things they won't like. Forcing people to reluctantly change their preferences or views is not a good idea as long as it isn't directly harming another person or group. My belief isn't perfect, but nothing ever seems to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment